Sudan or Bust

I am a spreadsheet kind of traveller.

Not in a plan-your-trip-down-to-the-minute sort of way, it's more of a know-your-options approach. When I decide my next destination, I buy the guidebook and read it front to back. I find a novel, or two, set in that location and savor every precious description. I scour the Internet to find the scoop that isn't in the guidebook and the history that will put the experience in context.

And I set up a spreadsheet.

You'll find each possible location with a sublist of attractions in the area and estimated travel times between each, along with any relevant fees that may be involved. You'll find links to the attractions and if you're traveling with me there will be a column for you to mark your interest in each particular place on a scale from 1-5. The top ranked restaurants on TripAdvisor will also be listed with phone numbers and directions from the nearest landmark, just in case.

(If you're planning a trip let me know, I love sharing my spreadsheets.)

My best friend was scheduled to arrive in Ghana this Friday. It was to be a farewell tour for me. My spreadsheet has been complete for weeks. My last long holiday on the continent would be used to relive my favorite experiences in this place that I have called home for the last five years and share them with a friend. So when I woke up to a text message this morning that started with "Sorry man", I was completely devastated. He has a good reason. A death in the family. We can't blame the guy for canceling, but still...devastating.

I'm not one to mope around (Let's be real. I've been moping a little too much lately...)

I don't want to be the kind of guy who mopes around, especially not on my last holiday on this continent that blows my mind every time I step out of the door. So, I shot an text message off to an old colleague who is always doing something interesting on a break:


That was at 6:25 am, by 7:55 I had booked my flight and started the process for a rushed visa. On Saturday morning, I will depart from Accra to Khartoum via Cairo.

I have no spreadsheet.

Comments

  1. Love that you are able to make those quick decisions.Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...on this continent that blows my mind every time I step out of the door." .This metaphor works. Glad you found an alternative location for your break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fascinated with your spreadsheet process and impressed that you're flexible enough to chuck it all out the window to embrace this adventure. Have fun and travel safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How this slice pivots from beginning to end is fantastic. Happy travelling. (Maybe you'll have some new manner of organizer by the end of this journey...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

to Redemption

to Mrs. McCurdie

to Wild Places